Time and our spiritual practice


Good morning on this fourth day of August in the summer of 2018. I can't believe we are into the eighth month of the year. Time is such a strange concept isn't it? We are taught to chronicle time in a linear fashion from an early age. Everything in our third dimensional reality is based on this construct. However, in the ancient spiritual teachings there was a different way of looking at time. All time exists simultaneously and it is how we choose to perceive it that creates the illusion of linear time.

The Buddhist teachings instruct us to live in the present moment. That trying to live in either the past or future only brings about suffering. I can totally see this in our daily lives. How we lament things we have done or fret over what is to come. So, I have tried to adopt the living in the present moment as much as I can. Each day presents an opportunity to see the freedom of that concept. But, it is a crazy challenge in our world. We are constantly being pushed to commit to a future event or dragged back into the past with expressions of nostalgia for the good old days. It is mind numbing and tests the patience for sure.

So, as you can see in my picture today here is what is on my table at the present moment. It is pure potential and waiting for me to move the energies of creativity, thought and purpose to enact some sort of change. Change is a part of my daily life now. Nothing remains the same. What you see here are the things I need to continue working on a book project for an upcoming show. This particular project deals in how I handle nostalgia. It is called "Family Heirlooms" and is a collection of handed down recipes from family and friends. I like the idea of books being a sort of vault or repository for the moments that have passed. A collection of memories. Two out of the three book projects for this show are about memories. That has become a theme in my recent personal pieces

How do you perceive time in your life? Do you try and live in the present moment or are you plagued with the push and pull of past and future experiences. Are you stressed or sad because of this? Perhaps just taking the time to sit quietly and breathe. Live in the present now with no attachment. There you find real peace/ Much love, light and peace to you all.

Comments

  1. We seem to be traveling on similar paths. Thank you for strengthening my journey. Today is today...live it kindly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true my friend. Hope you have a beautiful day and week ahead. I am busy trying to finish three pieces for the Kennedy Heights show opening on the 18th.

      Delete
    2. I have marked my calendar with August 18th to see your show. Now I have to remember to look at my calendar. :)

      Delete
  2. I try to live in today. Sometimes it is very hard when you have mental problems. If my medicines are working fine I am happy and content. If there is too much change in my life I get anxieties. Right now there is so much upheaval daily with changes coming left and right that I have been very anxiety ridden. I am so happy for you Cody that you seemed to have found balance in your life and that is so wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment