Morning Meditation for August 14, 2016: Personal Tarot


Today I have decided to share a few ideas that I am working on for an upcoming photo class assignment. These may or may not be the final images I use. Since they are morning themed, I thought them appropriate to use here. One of the running themes I use to chronicle my life;s events is the Tarot. I love the mythic qualities of the various cards. The two distinct levels also seem to represent different levels of awareness for me. The minor arcana is a set of four suits that represent the four elements. They tend to deal with more mundane activities and events in one's daily life.The major arcana to me speaks to the more mythic aspects of life. The archetypal energies and the spiritual aspect of life. So, for my last two assignments I am going to show a few of the cards that have a personal meaning to me. I am making an autobiographical kind of Tarot. I am taking liberties also with using different objects to represent the four suits in the minor arcana. For instance, cups and bowls will figure prominently in the traditional cups suit. Other objects may be spoons or glasses. It represents vessels to me. It is the element of water that is represented here in the cups suit.

My first card is the four of bowls. The underlying meaning of this card is one of boredom or mediocrity. Being stuck in a rut. But, the promise of this card is that this state of being will soon pass as something sweet is just on the horizon. The elements of this image seem to illustrate that to me. I consider eating cereal in the morning kind of routine and boring. But, if you go the extra mile and add a dash of cinnamon and maybe a bit of chocolate to things it will switch up the routine. The bowls are pure potential as they haven't been filled with anything. The cereal is the nourishment and the milk is the source of life, the beginning. The cocoa and cinnamon are the extra elements that will kick the mundane out the window.


The second card here is the ace of coffee cups. This card represents new beginnings. It is seen as a positive card with the utmost potential embodied within it. What better symbol for the beginning of a new day and all the possibilities it may have. The coffee is the energy and the milk or cream the source. The sugar bowl contains a bit of sweetness to put some joy and happiness in there to set the tone. I chose warm colors for both cards as that makes me feel comforted and energized.

Hope you are enjoying my daily musings about life and art. It is an interesting new part of my daily activity that gets me to pause and reflect about a variety of things. Have a beautiful Sunday and do smell the coffee. Peace.

Comments

  1. I love this idea of using everyday things to translate the Tarot. You get much more meaning out of it!
    I finally started the ball rolling on medicare filling out the Social Security pages. Not sure about being 65!
    I am really enjoying your musings and truly hope there are others reading them! hugs

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment